06 February, 2015

The One Where I Fall in Love with Wood Filler, Part II

It's finished!

It's finished!

Thank God Almighty, the bookshelf is finished!

Like, seriously, it's completely finished.

Sanded, painted, done!

I've never been so happy in my entire life!


What started as a simple, "Hmm, I think I'll build a wall of bookshelves" turned into several months of working on it bit by bit when I had the time. But this past weekend, with an unusual 3-hour power outage thanks to a fire in the neighborhood, the fiance and I finished the bookshelf.

Ater falling in love with wood filler and deciding that every gap needed to also fall in love with it, I started to sand down the entire bookshelf. After sanding (which sucked) I brushed off all of the excess dusty-stuff and wiped down the shelves. The fiance had brought over several gallons of extra white paint from when he had painted his own house and I sorted through them until I found a bright white that I liked.

I then proceeded to start painting the bookshelf.

And painted...

And painted some more...

Soooo much painting!

I worked on it for about an hour or two for several days when I would come home from work and then when the sun set (which was about 5:45, thank you winter) I would pack it up for the night.

Well, fast forward to Saturday when I had almost all of the shelves painted and only a few left to finish, and suddenly the power went out leaving me and the fiancee in complete darkness.

Like utter darkness.

The sun had already set and there wasn't any light coming from anywhere.

We lit some candles and dug out the flashlight that my parents gave the fiance (so really they gave it to me) for x-mas and set up to finish the many projects we had going on (me finishing the bookshelf, the fiancee making dinner and baking sourdough bread).

Because we no longer had TV, Netflix, or YouTube to entertain us as we worked, we decided to team up and help each other.

Thus, the bookshelf got finished in breaking speed!

Originally, my plan was to connect doors to the bottom, outside shelves of the bookcases, but then I reached the point where I just wanted it finished and figuring out how to cut the dimensions for the doors was too time-consuming.

Instead, I bought another sheet of wood which the fiance cut down to make two additional shelves. We connected them with L-hooks and added the 2-inch trim (left over from the previous shelves). I whipped out the ole paintbrush and finished off those suckers just in time for the power to come back on.

'le sigh.

Let me know what you think of our bookshelves which I love, love, LOVE! (imperfections and all)

P.S. - I had a hard time getting the full bookshelf in the picture. It's four shelves across and seven from ceiling to floor.










No comments:

Post a Comment