21 February, 2015

Garden: Round 2

Two weeks ago I started our first round of seeds for our garden. We had a good number of them sprout (apparently the seeds were three years old which means only 25% of them on average would sprout) and I had to thin out the dill.





To thin, decide which plant is the largest and healthiest of the bunch. With scissors, cut the other plants near the bottom of the stem and remove. The plant that remains will eat the roots of the other plants and you won't have to worry about separating them.



For the outside beds, we laid cardboard down in order to kill/prepare the ground below for our garden. We watered them down in order to speed up the process of killing the grass below. Usually you'd start this during the fall but I'm a little bit behind in preparing where I wanted my garden to go.




We've had unusually warm weather here in the South this winter. Last Sunday it was a gorgeous 70 degrees! And just when I was ready to fill my beds with dirt, the weather, however, decided to turn.




Yep, several inches of snow fell overnight which killed my plans to get outside and prepare the beds.

Instead, I started the seeds for our Spring/Summer crop. On the list:

12 Roma Tomatoes
12 Cucumber
12 Green Beans
6 Matina Tomatoes
6 Sandia Peppers
6 Big Jim Peppers
6 Watermelon
6 Cantelope
6 Butternut Squash
3 Zucchini
3 Summer Squash

Outside we'll be starting Radishes and Sunflowers.

I also started another 6 broccoli plants with newer seeds that I found.

I'm ready for the snow to melt so I can get back on track with the garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment