24 February, 2015

Best Valentine Gift Ever!

I'm so excited by what I deem my true Valentines gift this year!

Since the fiance is prone to buying me flowers, taking me out and being sweet year round, I don't feel the importance of flowers, chocolate, etc on Valentines day.

What I do want, however?

Chickens.

Yep.

I got chickens for Valentine's Day!



Introducing my chicks!


My nephew came over for a video game play date with my fiance but before it happened we had to go pick up the chicks.

I asked my nephew if he knew what we were doing and he said he had no idea. I told him we were going to a farm and had him guess what we would be getting there. His initial reaction was that we were buying fruit (I guess we do go berry picking a lot in the spring/summer) and then he finally got around to guessing animals.

When I confirmed that we were, indeed, getting chickens, his response was this: "Oh, so you can have eggs? And then one day you can eat them!"

My thoughts exactly kid.

I feel its super important to remind myself that these birds will one day be in my freezer, but they're suuuuuuuuuuuuper cute!

And look at how gorgeous this farm is!






Unfortunately we lost two of the babies the first week we had them. One due to stress and the other from poopy butt. 

Poopy butt happens when the chicks become dehydrated and are unable to relieve themselves. In order to help this you need to wipe off the dried poop and then treat the area with a little bit of olive oil or vaseline. 

I did this consistently for a couple days but over night one little girl didn't make it. 

We realized that we wanted to try and get some more chicks from the same farmer, this time we were going to pick some older chicks (maybe two weeks old) instead of the day old/one week old girls we'd gotten before. 

So now we have eight gorgeous chicks that we're excited to be raising! 


Yep, they're living in the bathtub right now! 

I have an extra bathroom in my house that I never use. The toilet isn't functioning properly so its rarely used as well and I realized that the tub would be a perfect place to keep the little girls until they were big enough to move to the coop (which we're still in the process of building). 

No comments:

Post a Comment