06 March, 2014

Bedside Reading



I thought I’d share some of my favorite books that I’m using while on my journey of home ownership. As an English teacher, I always like a good read that helps me accomplish both research for an upcoming project as well as information that I might be lacking when it comes to remodeling, building, gardening etc. So, without further ado, here are my (so far) favorite reads.



The Handbuilt Home by Anna White

Full of tips and tricks for building your own furniture on a budget, Anna White also has her own blog with TONS of free plans for almost anything you could imagine building. Last summer I built myself a bookshelf bed frame off of one of her plans and it was super easy! I finished it in a day and it cost me less than $100 to complete.

Garden Anywhere by Alys Fowler
Garden anywhere talks about the benefits of gardening in a city. When I was living in my apartment I loved this book because it talked about container gardening and how to do it effitiently within a small space. It still gives great tips and tricks for gardening on a budget and with limited square foot space. Overall a wonderful buy and the photos are amazing.

Backyard Farming on an Acre (more or less) by Angela England
As am amateur gardener, I hope to one day expand into being self sufficient on my own land. Not only am I preparing for the zombie apocalypse (kidding!), but I want to know exactly where my food comes from and to know that it isn't being processed or grown with lots of chemicals. Angela's book goes through everything that a person could/should/would want to do on their homestead with less than an acre of space. She also talks about the different things that could be done with more or less space. It's a wonderful book for anyone who wants to garden, raise chickens or goats, or do any number of things by themselves.

Young House Love by Sherry & John Petersik
Following their wildly successfully blog, Young House Love, Sherry and John Petersik published their own book with hundreds of crafting and design ideas that they've used in several of the houses that they've remodeled over the years. There are lots of ideas in here that I love and also some I'd never thought of (as well as some I'd probably never do) but its a great mix of everything that a new designer would want. Their blog is also a wonderful read and has updates on their current house.

No comments:

Post a Comment