26 August, 2015

Alaska: Anchorage & Seward

We decided on an Alaskan cruise for our Honeymoon and I'm so glad we made this choice! The weather was purrrrfect for our Mid-West bones that were dying of the heat which had swept through the state this last month.

Can you believe this was taken with a phone?!?




We didn't board our flight up late Sunday night so you can imagine how tired we were once we finally arrived in Anchorage. I did manage to snap this picture from the airplane after I woke up from a super uncomfortable nap (thanks hubby for letting me sleep on youuuuuu).

This is midnight in Alaska! 

So not only is the state beautiful but its true that the sun doesn't ever really set during summer. Instead it becomes more like dusk for us in the lower 48 states. 

After jumping in a taxi to our hotel we settled in for a couple of hours sleep. Yep, just a couple of hours before we had to be up to catch our train heading South to Seward. It was great because we were able to hand off all of our luggage to the workers at the train station with the knowledge that it would be delivered to our cabin on the cruise ship that evening. I'm all about free arms! 



Some hooligans had broken into the train station the previous night so it was running slightly behind. Everyone was wonderful though! We were lined up across the street and brought in every five minutes or so in groups of twenty-ish people. The wait was nothing and once we were given our tickets we could immediately board.


We chose to grab breakfast on the train, because how often does that opportunity come along, and enjoyed some delicious eggs, potatoes, and reindeer sausage! 


Glacier! 



Bigger Glacier! 





Once we reached Seward we had several hours to kill before the ship actually left port. We decided to walk into town and grab a yummy meal. The Hubby had salmon and I got crab cakes and it was one of the best meals we had the entire trip. Definitely worth it!

The city of Seward


After lunch, we browsed a couple shops and I got my postcard. I started grabbing postcards from the cities that I visit when I realized how much I suck at keeping a travel journal. 

I envy people who are able to sit and recall details about their trip and write it all down on paper. Seriously, super envious! I wish that was something that I could do. 

I'm forgetful and I never finish my writing once I start it. So I started getting postcards from each city and writing a short paragraph about what I did while there. 

Its super simple, takes less then five minutes, and I keep them together in a booklet later. Give it a try sometime! 



Check out our second day visiting the Hubbard Glacier here.

No comments:

Post a Comment