13 June, 2015

Old Fashion Doughnuts

The fiance wanted doughnuts.

Because his birthday is coming up and I have a tendency to celebrate the entire month instead of just one day (or maybe I just celebrate my own birthday during the entire month) I happily obliged in whipping up a batch of homemade old fashion doughnuts!



Whenever I'm planning to bake something I usually head on over to trusty Pinterest which has just about every resource under the sun! I'm a die-hard Pinterest lover! 

I wanted to find a doughnut recipe that was simple and easy to make. I found a great one by Katie over at The Casual Craftlete. To see the full recipe you'll need to head on over to her site and check it out. 

I had almost everything needed to bake the doughnuts on hand. The one thing missing was milk. I'm lactose intolerant and the fiance doesn't really drink milk so we never have any in the fridge. I guess if I'm going to be baking more I should look into having some.

Or I can just stick to borrowing some from my sister (I'll probably just do this).

 Do you like my mason jar milk? 

I wasn't even aware that we had fresh nutmegs in the pantry! 

I need to use this baby more! 

2 pkgs of yeast 

 Mixed with a cup of warm water

Mix, mix, mix! 

Set aside 

If you have a super curious cat like me, make sure you train them to stay seated on a stool! 

He's a child

Heat milk for 30-45 sec. (please ignore the messy microwave)

Add butter, sugar and salt
 
Cream together

Add eggs

Shells go in the compost (yeah, we drink a lot of coffee)

Add fresh nutmeg

Mmmmm

Set mixture aside

Add yeast mixture, milk and two cups of flour to mixer

Mix on slow to start (trust me)

Flour goes crazy if you start on a high speed

Add egg mixture and continue to add flour (about five cups) until dough forms

Make sure your surface has plenty of flour before rolling out dough

Knead

I fold the dough from the left and right (like I'm swaddling a baby) then the bottom and top

Return to bowl

Cover and allow to rise for 2 hours

Holy smokes dough! 

Roll out onto surface with a rolling pin 

Head oil in pan to 375 degrees

Note to self: the oil was a constant juggle between being too hot and not hot enough. Keep the thermometer in the pan and watch closely! 

I got to break into my cookie cutters! (and I love my new honey candle from Target)

I chose two sizes of circles to create the doughnut shape



When ready, place them in the oil and cook each side until brown (about 1.5-2 min). 

Have a plate with paper towels ready for draining

I knew they were ready to flip when they puffed up

I put some powdered sugar in a mesh strainer

Looking good!

Sprinkled with powdered sugar!


YUM!

Don't forget the doughnut holes! 

Cinnamon and sugar


The best! 


No comments:

Post a Comment